China Tries to Play Nice
By Marc Chandler
NEW YORK ( BBH FX Strategy) -- China President Hu Jintao was very polite in pubic comments as the 14th Sino-EU summit began Wednesday. He made pleasant remarks about China's willingness to support Europe. The foreign exchange market initially bought euros on the headlines but, alas, the twists and turns of the Greek saga exert the stronger pull. Still, it seems that many observers misunderstand what is happening.
China has about $3.2 trillion in reserves. It is one of the few countries that do not reveal the currency composition for its reserves. Economists assume that around 25% of the reserves are invested in euro denominated instruments. That means that China holds roughly $800 billion of European bonds. For numerous reasons it seems unlikely that it is about to increase its holdings of peripheral bonds and to the extent it buys core bonds, like German bunds, it aggravates the pressure by widening the intra-European spreads.
- A China state fund agreed to buy for 387 million euros a 25% stake in Portugal's national electric grid
- China's largest construction equipment maker bought a German family owned engineering firm for 360 million euros
- China's sovereign wealth fund bought a stake in the UK's Thames Water
- China's Three Gorges bought a 21.3% stake for 2.2 billion euros in a Portuguese energy company
- A Chinese company bought a 25% stake in the Ferretti Group, an indebted Italian yacht manufacturer
- China's National Chemical Corp bought a stake in Norway's Elkem for $2.2 billion
- Manganse Bronze makes London's famous black taxis and is owned by Geely, the Shanghai-based car manufacturer than owns Volvo
- China's sovereign wealth fund has the third largest stake in Songbird Estates which owns the Canary Wharf Group
- Chinese banks have bought or leased 28,000 meters (300,000 square feet) of office space in the financial district in London
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts