Universal Forest Products, Inc. (Nasdaq: UFPI) today announced 2011 fourth-quarter results that included net sales of $422.0 million, up 11.4 percent over fourth-quarter 2010 net sales of $378.7 million. For the fourth quarter of 2011, the Company saw a loss of $1.7 million, or ($.09) per diluted share, compared to 2010 fourth-quarter earnings of $124,000, or $0.01 per diluted share.
Fourth-quarter earnings for 2011 were negatively impacted by $2.7 million and for 2010 by $0.5 million in noncash impairment charges for closed facilities. In addition, fourth-quarter 2010 results benefited from a $2.3 million noncash tax benefit associated with removing a valuation allowance against a deferred tax asset. Excluding the after-tax impact of these noncash adjustments in both periods, the Company had a profit of $26,000 in the fourth quarter of 2011 and a net loss of $1.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2010. (See table, “Reconciliation of Reported Net Earnings to Pro Forma Net Earnings,” page 3.)
Annual net sales for 2011 were $1.82 billion, down 3.6 percent from 2010 annual net sales of $1.89 billion. Annual net earnings for 2011 were $0.23 per diluted share compared with annual net earnings of $0.89 per diluted share for 2010.
“We are encouraged by the sales growth in the fourth quarter as well as the impact of our cost reductions on our bottom line,” said CEO Matthew J. Missad. “I’m very proud of the way our people climbed out of the hole we were in after the first six months of the year. The results from our continuing operations trended much better in the fourth quarter.”“Our balance sheet remains very strong,” Missad added. “We have the business model we need for growth and a strong capital structure to fund our growth. Most importantly, our people are energized and eager to achieve our goals.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV