The oil service stocks were dogs in the fourth quarter and that shouldn't surprise anyone given the bottoming out in the sector and the expectation that things got worse before they got better. In fact, it might be more interesting to see whether the hedge fund managers start adding back to some of their oil service stakes, like they have already done -- and were doing again in the fourth quarter with oil service stock Weatherford International (WFT), which was beaten up long before the rest of the sector due to company-specific missteps.
SAC Capital, for example, while dumping Baker Hughes was adding to its Weatherford stake in the fourth quarter. Weatherford is now the hedge fund's third-largest holding after adding to its position three quarters in a row.Here are some of the other top hedge fund manager multi-quarter buys across the energy sector: Activist hedge fund Jana Partners has added to its stake in Anadarko Petroleum (APC) for two consecutive quarters. Pickers has lightened his exposure to EOG Resources (EOG) for three quarters, while U.S. independent exploration and production peers of EOG, Devon Energy (DVN), SandRidge Energy (SD) and Chesapeake Energy (CHK) remain among his top 10 holdings in the fourth quarter. Ray Dalio's Bridgewater Associates has been adding to its stake in U.S. independent E&P Denbury Resources (DNR) for three quarters. Denbury has been a popular way for energy investors to gain exposure to the mid-cap U.S. oil exploration story and the support for crude oil prices, with a
Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV