Wednesday's bank stock loser was Bank of America (BAC), with shares declining 3% to close at $7.77, after Sanford Bernstein analyst John McDonald cut his rating on the shares to "Market Perform" from "Outperform."
Bank of America's shares have returned 40% year-to-date, after falling 58% last year.
The shares trade for 0.7 times tangible book value, according to HighlineFI, and for 11 times the consensus 2012 earnings estimate of 71 cents.McDonald's price target for Bank of America is $9.00. The analyst downgraded the shares "after a strong YTD rally appears to have taken capital raise fears out of the stock" and while he continues to see long-term upside for the shares, he believes "it will take time for BAC's earnings power to recover amid low interest rates, loan runoff, and a long tail to elevated mortgage-related expenses. McDonald estimates that Bank of America will earn 65 cents a share in 2012, followed by EPS of $1.15 in 2013. Interested in more on Bank of America? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV