One more stock that's starting to trigger a big breakout trade today is TeleCommunications (TSYS), a global supplier of automatic test equipment. This stock is off to a monster start in 2012 with shares up over 28%.
If you look at the chart for TeleCommunication Systems, you'll notice that the sellers nailed this stock good taking it down from its October high of $4.03 to a recent low of $2.10 a share. After hitting that low, this stock saw buyers come in and support the price at around $2.25 to $2.30 a share on a number of trading sessions. Now shares of TeleCommunications Systems are starting to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels.
Traders should now watch for TSYS to take out some near-term overhead resistance at $2.93 to $2.98 a share on high-volume. Watch for a move over those levels where volume hits close to or well above its three-month average action of 448,485 shares. A sustained high-volume move and close above those levels should set this stock up to trend back toward $3.38 to $3.71 (its 200-day) a share, or possibly much higher.Market players should now look for long biased trades since TSYS is starting to move above those levels today and volume is decent. At last check, volume is over 382,000 shares and TSYS has hit a daily high of $3.09. I would keep a tight mental stop on this at around $2.65 to $2.80 a share if you get long off weakness. If this breakout is the real deal, then I doubt it even gets back under todays low of $2.85 a share. To see more breakout candidates like Kodiak Oil & Gas (KOG), Sun Healthcare Group (SUNH) and BioSante Pharmaceuticals (BPAX), check out the Breakout Stocks of the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV