One stock that recently triggered a major breakout is NxStage Medical (NXTM), a medical device company that develops, manufactures and markets products for the treatment of kidney failure, fluid overload and related blood treatments and procedures. This stock is off to a solid start in 2012, with shares up over 20%.
If you look at the chart for NxStage Medical, you'll see that this stock was sold off hard by the bears from its October high of $24.06 to a recent low of $15.42 a share. After hitting that low, the stock saw massive upside volume flow in as buyers found tremendous value. The stock then ran from $15.42 to its current price of around $21.40 a share. That run saw NXTM break out above some past overhead resistance at $20.05 to $20.13 a share on monster volume.
Traders should now watch NXTM to trigger its next big breakout once the stock moves above some near-term overhead resistance at $21.43 with volume. Look for volume on any move above that levels that registers near or above 559,600 shares. At last check the stock has hit a high today of $21.50 and volume is just over 100,000 shares traded. If we get that action, then this stock has an excellent chance to make a run at its October high of $24.06 a share, or possibly much higher.Traders should now look for long-biased trades as long as NXTM is trending above $20 to $21.43 a share, and the upside volume is tracking in strong. This stock also sports a very high short interest, since 11.5% of the tradable float is currently sold short by the bears. That high short interest could easily fuel a big short squeeze that spikes this stock big soon since the stock is starting to move above $21.43. I also featured NxStage recently in " 7 Stocks Rising on Huge Volume." Follow @stockpickr
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV