Stocks rallied at the beginning of 2012 because Germany had a huge upswing of demand in the fourth quarter, helping to bail out the solar sector from oversupply, and a more optimistic demand outlook for China has been among the catalysts for solar stocks. Yet short-term trading sentiment continues to treat solar stocks like ping pong balls.
Even stocks like
Energy Conversion Devices
(ENER), clearly headed toward bankruptcy, were up more than 100% this year among the trading frenzy.
Then solar stocks sold off as the first rumors started hitting the Wall Street reports that Germany might cut its solar subsidies harder and faster than in previous years because of the demand rush.Then solar stocks rebounded from the German selloff as more reports surfaced of a rosy demand scenario. Consequently, solar stocks rallied again last week, bringing year-to-date gains in many stocks to 80% or more, which was one more compelling reason to sell solar stocks. Getting the picture? There are only two trades in solar: excessive pessimism or excessive optimism. There's a parable I like to tell when solar stocks reach a tipping point of either euphoria or existential crisis: The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse." The optimist replies, "Yes it can." The beginning of this week would have been a good time to take some profits in solar, when more reports surfaced saying that Germany might in fact make steeper and quicker cuts to solar subsidies than previously imagined (and it's all imagination, since no one on Wall Street really knows what's going in in the German parliament). In fact, TheStreet suggested that
Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV