NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Solar stocks have been riding high headed into earnings even after a recent selloff. Riding high, though, means outperforming relative to the woeful underperformance last year.
The year-to-date gain in the solar sector has been most pronounced in stocks that deteriorated the most in value last year. In no sector has the "2011's stock market junk is 2012's market gold" been more pronounced than in solar.
There was a specific reason for this rally: German demand in the fourth quarter far exceeded expectations, making what was a terrible oversupply situation and weak pricing in the sector a little better for solar companies.
Which brings us to point No. 1 about solar earnings season.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV