NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Pepsi (PEP) Global Beverages Chief Massimo D'Amore -- the same man who greenlighted Tropicana's disastrous rebranding (as a result, driving Pepsi's customers to Coca-Cola's (KO) Simply Orange) -- is trumpeting a new strategy:
Water down the orange juice and charge for it.
|Inspired by the success of Trop50, Pepsi seeks to expand juice blends that contain more water, less juice.|
But even more mind-boggling than the above statement is this D'Amore gem: "We have lost perspective here on the primary reason we are in business, which is to make money."D'Amore is right about one thing: Pepsi has indeed lost perspective if the company believes that "innovation" amounts to hoodwinking its customers. Steve Jobs would agree with me: "My passion has been to build an enduring company where people were motivated to make great products," Jobs told his biographer, Walter Isaacson. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV