JMP Group Inc. (NYSE: JMP), an investment banking and alternative asset management firm, reported financial results today for the quarter and full fiscal year ended December 31, 2011.
- Operating net income was $3.2 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, for the quarter, compared to $8.7 million, or $0.38 per diluted share, for the fourth quarter of 2010. For the year, operating net income was $17.1 million, or $0.76 per diluted share, versus $20.2 million, or $0.90 per diluted share, for 2010.
- Excluding the financial impact of gains recognized by JMP Credit Corporation on the sale or payoff of loans initially acquired in April 2009, adjusted operating net income was $0.14 per share and $0.56 per share for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2011, respectively, compared to $0.19 per share and $0.39 per share for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2010, respectively. For more information on operating net income and adjusted operating net income, on a consolidated and a segment basis, including a reconciliation to net income, please see the section below titled “Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
- The net loss attributable to JMP Group under generally accepted accounting principles, or GAAP, was $5.9 million, or $0.26 per share, for the quarter, compared to net income of $3.9 million, or $0.17 per share, for the fourth quarter of 2010. For the year, the net loss was $2.5 million, or $0.11 per share, versus net income of $9.6 million, or $0.43 per share, for 2010.
- Adjusted net revenues, which exclude certain non-cash items and noncontrolling interests, were $25.7 million for the quarter, compared to $46.6 million for the fourth quarter of 2010. For the year, adjusted net revenues were $135.3 million, versus $152.5 million for 2010. Further excluding net gains on the sale or payoff of acquired loans, adjusted net revenues would have been $122.2 million for 2011, up 6.9% from $114.3 million for 2010. For more information on adjusted net revenues, including a reconciliation to net revenues, please see the section below titled “Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
- Total net revenues on a GAAP basis were $19.6 million for the quarter, compared to $44.0 million for the fourth quarter of 2010. For the year, total net revenues were $111.4 million, versus $144.7 million for 2010.
“2011 turned out to be a much more difficult year for U.S. financial markets than originally expected,” said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Joe Jolson. “Nevertheless, JMP produced record adjusted operating EPS, a metric which excludes acquired loan sale profits, of $0.56 for the full year—up over 40% from the $0.39 earned for 2010 and representing a return on adjusted tangible book value of 11.8%, well above our stated goal of 10%. JMP Credit enjoyed another record year, generating earnings of $0.59 per share excluding acquired loan sale profits. Harvest Capital Strategies earned $0.11 per share, an increase of 57% from $0.07 for 2010, thanks to growth of almost 21% in hedge fund assets under management and good performance from our largest fund, Harvest Small Cap Partners. JMP Securities had a challenging year due to severe industry-wide headwinds, contributing $0.08 of operating EPS, versus $0.13 last year. However, underlying this result was a substantial increase in equity underwriting market share as well as the stabilization of commission revenues in the second half of 2011.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV