NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- FLIR Systems (Nasdaq:FLIR) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 9.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $69.82 million to $76.13 million.
- FLIR's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.16 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.31, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for FLIR SYSTEMS INC is rather high; currently it is at 59.50%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 18.80% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 156.46% to $116.20 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, FLIR SYSTEMS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -40.32%.
- FLIR SYSTEMS INC has improved earnings per share by 11.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FLIR SYSTEMS INC reported lower earnings of $1.39 versus $1.55 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.65 versus $1.39).
-- Written by a member of TheStreet RatingsStaff
Latest Headlines about FLIR
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV