Mitt Romney Opts for Battle on Two Fronts
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Who is Mitt Romney?
The GOP candidate's decision to fight on two political fronts ahead of Super Tuesday has left undecided Republican voters to wonder which candidate the campaign wants them to vote for.
Romney is still locked in a struggle with his Republican opponents, but he's also going after President Barack Obama now, as the former Massachusetts governor has hurled attacks over the past week at the three men he sees as the key obstacles to his goal of reaching the White House.Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and Obama could represent a deeper conflict of self-identity for Romney. Gingrich flanked Romney in South Carolina about his life as a private equity titan who wouldn't release his tax returns. Santorum won conservative voters in Colorado, Minnesota and Missouri by touting his conservative record in the Senate against Romney's as a governor. Obama and his campaign have jabbed Romney on various issues as they see the candidate as the likely GOP nominee. The problem is that Romney has made it difficult for voters to find a clear message as to which Republican he is: The one who can beat the president or the one who can't deflect a couple of has-been GOP players. Romney is familiar with, but hasn't won his GOP battle. "As Newt Gingrich visits Ohio, he still has questions he needs to answer about his work for the lobbyists at Freddie Mac," Romney said last Tuesday in a statement. "Ohioans have suffered during the housing crisis, while Speaker Gingrich was using his influence and connections to promote Freddie Mac's agenda in Washington." Romney's
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV