By Erica Ogg, GigaOM
It's pretty much a given that Apple (AAPL) is getting ready to introduce the next version of the iPad. The clues are that it's the time of year when Apple does this kind of thing, and that little leaks of information are beginning to slip out more frequently. Since we are (in all likelihood) in the final throes of iPad 3 rumor mill time, let's recap what we can expect to see in Apple's next tablet.
- The display will be bumped up to Retina resolution, 2048 x 1536 instead of the current 1024 x 768.
- The body will be thicker by approximately 1 millimeter, which could be because it'll have
- Improved cameras, front and back. Better for photos and videoconferencing.
- The processor will either be upgraded to a quad-core version or be an improved version of a dual-core.
- 4G capable: several sources are reporting that the next iPad will be able to access LTE networks.
- Likely introduction? First week of March in San Francisco.
- Some are being bold enough to call the day, Wednesday, March 7.
With the announcement potentially still three weeks away, there's still time for much, much more of this.
Related research and analysis from GigaOM Pro:
Subscriber content. Sign up for a free trial.
- 2012: Data, spectrum and the race toaLTE
- Mobile Q2: Smartphone growth surges; iPad’s ruleacontinues
- Mobile Q4: The scramble for spectrumacontinues
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV