8. MB Financial
Shares of MB Financial (MBFI) of Chicago closed at $19.50 Friday, pulling back 5% from a year earlier.
The company is one of two Chicago-area franchises mentioned by FIG Partners analyst John Rodis, who says that "there's no doubt the industry needs to consolidate," which Chicago's over 200 community banks being a prime example.MB Financial had $9.8 billion in total assets as of Dec. 31. The company owes $196 million in TARP money MB Financial reported 2011 net income available to common shareholders of $28.3 million, or 52 cents a share, improving from $10.1 million, or 19 cents a share, in 2010. The main factor in the operating improvement was a decline in the provision for loan losses to $120.8 million in 2011, from $246.2 million, the previous year. The 2011 ROA was 0.39% and the ROE was 2.85%. The shares trade for 1.4 times tangible book value, according to HighlineFI, and for 13 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $1.48. FIG Partners analyst Brian Martin rates MB Financial "Outperform," with a price target of $21, saying on Jan. 31 that the company achieved a respectable fourth-quarter return on tangible common equity of 9.3%, and that "highlights included a return to loan growth after a period of contraction, an uptick in the margin, and continued improvement in credit quality." Martin also said that "TARP repayment is likely a near term event given advanced discussions with regulators." Interested in more on MB Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV