Solar Stocks With More Bankruptcy Risk Than Energy Conversion
Wunderlich estimated that MEMC will end 2012 with about $355 million in cash and $1.7 billion in debt. The company's saving grace is its SunEdison solar project business, but it's a catch 22 earnings-wise: "The company needs access to cash in order to build out solar farms and, ideally, it would have more than this amount in order to operate. Yes, the cash will come in when the solar farms sell, but in the meantime, it is generating no earnings on the carry," O'Neill wrote.
For comparison purposes, First Solar (FSLR), even after all of its troubles in the past year and a real dent in its cash flow profile, still scores 3.6 on the Altman Z scale.
Closer to Energy Conversion's bankruptcy risk home are other niche U.S. solar manufacturers that really set the standard of sub-$1 stocks with bankruptcy risk written all over them:
The Chinese solar companies TheStreet, continue to present some of the biggest bankruptcy red flags. Even if the Chinese government and banks will always bail them out, equity shareholders continue to run the risk of being wiped out in any reorganization.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV