With Over A Hundred Hydrocarbon Freezers In The Market Place, And The EPA's Recent Approval, Consumers Will Continue To See More Of These Environmentally Friendly Cabinets From Unilever And Ben & Jerry's. (Photo: Business Wire)
Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s jointly announced today that they plan to roll-out climate-friendly ice cream freezer cabinets in the United States in 2012. Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, along with other iconic Unilever ice cream brands including Breyers, Good Humor, Klondike, Magnum, and Popsicle, will soon be available in cabinets that use at least 10 percent less energy and replace harmful “F” gas coolants with hydrocarbon (HC) refrigerants. The new freezers will be identified with “Greener Freezer” stickers in demonstration of Ben & Jerry’s and Unilever’s environmental commitment to help protect the planet.
“Over the last decade, Unilever has been at the forefront of sustainable innovation, significantly reducing the environmental impact of our ice cream cabinets around the world,” said Kees Kruythoff, Head of Unilever North America. “Introduction of these more environmentally friendly cabinets in the US is a critical advancement for the region.”
The greener freezer program, initiated by Ben & Jerry’s in the fall of 2008, relied heavily on Unilever’s global HC refrigeration expertise. The undertaking was supported by a collaborative concern to address environmental impact by both organizations. After four years of trials and coordination, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently approved the technology behind the hydrocarbon freezer cabinets for use in the US, which Unilever has used for several years across Europe and Asia. In 2011 alone, Unilever rolled out 22,000 climate-friendly freezers in non-US markets, resulting in a greenhouse gas emissions reduction of 12,000 tons of CO2.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV