International Paper (IP) broke out yesterday, shoving its way above resistance to make a new 52-week high at $33.22. The breakout is a buy signal for traders this week. Here's how the setup worked.
Shares of International Paper have spent most of the year stock in a horizontal range, a phenomenon that I call an If/Then setup. It's called that because the channel provides traders with a contingent setup depending on which direction shares of IP exited the channel. Because they broke out to the upside, this stock becomes an upside trade.
The channel was relatively narrow in IP, suggesting that the target price on this stock also relatively nearby. But the potential gains get extended a bit by virtue of the fact that IP plowed its way through a new 52-week high.With investor psychology looking strong in this stock, now looks like a favorable opportunity to be a buyer. If you decide to take this trade, I'd recommend keeping a protective stop right under $31 support. International Paper shows up on a recent list of 4 Favorite Value Stocks. To see these plays in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV