10 Offbeat Places to Celebrate Mardis Gras
Carnival of Binche is what art school students' design roommates have nightmares about.
Dating back to the 14th century, the carnival of Binche takes place each year during the Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. During those days, Binche's streets fill with performers dancing, playing music and marching. Much of the city gets into costume purportedly to celebrate the occasion, but seemingly to scare the living daylights out of visitors.
If travelers weren't coulrophobic before heading to Binche, there's a chance they'll have a healthy fear of clowns after coming across some of the hundreds of makeup-slathered "Gilles" cavorting in the streets. Dressed like rejected members of Anonymous in court jester garb, the Gilles' faces are obscured by Guy Fawkes-style wax masks and tanning booth glasses. They pound drums and wield sticks to ward off evil spirits, wear large hats of ostrich feathers and march through town with baskets of oranges that they whip at members of the crowd with such velocity that townspeople cover the windows around this time of year.Being a Gille is a big deal in Binche, so running away screaming or lobbing an apple in response is discouraged. Unesco has named Binche's Carnival celebration an essential part of the world's oral and intangible heritage, though, so it's worth sticking around to see what the scary men in masks will do next. Let's put it this way: If you're good with a grown man in a mascot costume launching a T-shirt at you through a pneumatic gun, you should fare just fine with the Gilles of Binche.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV