2. Hudson City Bancorp
Shares of Hudson City Bancorp (HCBK) have gained 11% in 2012, though over a one-year period, shares are still down nearly 40%.
The Paramus, New Jersey-based bank had total assets of $50.85 billion.Hudson City reported a fourth-quarter net loss of $360.5 million, or 73 cents a share, springing from its second major balance sheet restructuring. The company had been forced by the Office of Thrift Supervision during the first quarter to reverse its long-term leverage strategy of boosting wholesale borrowings and investing in securities, which had led to a declining net interest margin, which is the difference between a bank's average yield on loans and investments and its average cost for deposits and borrowings. Guggenheim Securties analyst David Darst speculates that Hudson City might make a good takeover candidate for New York City Bancorp (NYB). "A merger between New York Community and Hudson City could be a logical combination that occurs over the next year as HCBK faces strategic challenges that are not easily cured," he said. Darst added that once Hudson City is finished restructuring its balance sheet, the company may not have the ability to resume growth due to a constrained market for jumbo mortgages and that as this materializes, "shareholders may become more vocal for a change." 2 analysts have a buy rating on the stock. 15 analysts have a hold rating while 4 analysts have a sell or underperform rating. The consensus price target of $6.84 is just below Tuesday's closing price of $6.97.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV