New Research: Voluntary Disclosure Produces Positive Returns For Shareholders
SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Feb. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- What is the relationship between voluntarily disclosing your Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) and CSRwire? According to a new study conducted by the University of California Davis and Berkeley, companies saw significant increases in their stock prices just days after issuing corporate social responsibility (CSR) releases through CSRwire.
Titled Going Green: Market Reactions to CSR Newswire Releases , the study was conducted by two University of California management professors Paul Griffin, Ph.D. and Yuan Sun, Ph.D.
Their motivation: "A lot of people were saying we need to engage in a climate change strategy but there was little or no evidence that this was improving shareholder value," says Dr. Griffin, adding, "We wanted to look at whether there was an association between voluntary disclosure and shareholder price."
Top Findings: It Pays To Be Green (with CSRwire)By using CSRwire as a source for voluntary disclosures comparable over a decade, the study determines:
- Companies' market values increased following CSRwire release: Sample of disclosing companies received an aggregate market value boost following their CSRwire releases of approximately ten billion dollars, independent of differences in public information availability.
- Voluntary green disclosure produce positive returns to shareholders: As predicted, the study found that shareholders on average respond positively to a CSRwire release by 0.468 percent over the three -day window (of the posting).
- Small companies tend to benefit more: Shareholders of smaller companies with limited public information availability benefit the most from voluntary green disclosure [with prices increasing as much as 2.32 percent].
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV