New Research: Voluntary Disclosure Produces Positive Returns For Shareholders
SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Feb. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- What is the relationship between voluntarily disclosing your Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) and CSRwire? According to a new study conducted by the University of California Davis and Berkeley, companies saw significant increases in their stock prices just days after issuing corporate social responsibility (CSR) releases through CSRwire.
Titled Going Green: Market Reactions to CSR Newswire Releases , the study was conducted by two University of California management professors Paul Griffin, Ph.D. and Yuan Sun, Ph.D.
Their motivation: "A lot of people were saying we need to engage in a climate change strategy but there was little or no evidence that this was improving shareholder value," says Dr. Griffin, adding, "We wanted to look at whether there was an association between voluntary disclosure and shareholder price."
Top Findings: It Pays To Be Green (with CSRwire)By using CSRwire as a source for voluntary disclosures comparable over a decade, the study determines:
- Companies' market values increased following CSRwire release: Sample of disclosing companies received an aggregate market value boost following their CSRwire releases of approximately ten billion dollars, independent of differences in public information availability.
- Voluntary green disclosure produce positive returns to shareholders: As predicted, the study found that shareholders on average respond positively to a CSRwire release by 0.468 percent over the three -day window (of the posting).
- Small companies tend to benefit more: Shareholders of smaller companies with limited public information availability benefit the most from voluntary green disclosure [with prices increasing as much as 2.32 percent].
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV