United Stationers Inc. (NASDAQ: USTR) reported solid results for its fourth quarter and record revenues and earnings per share for the year ended December 31, 2011. In addition, the company announced a distribution network optimization and targeted cost reduction program.
Fourth Quarter Financial Summary
- Diluted earnings per share for the fourth quarter of 2011 were $0.65, flat compared with the prior-year quarter. However, adjusted earnings per share were up 10% to $0.64 (1) from $0.58 (1) in 2010. Fourth quarter 2011 results were adjusted down by $0.01 per share for a partial reversal of a workforce realignment charge and the prior-year quarter was adjusted down by $0.07 per share for employee-related items, respectively.
- Net sales increased 1.3% from the prior-year period to $1.2 billion.
- Gross margin was $173.7 million or 14.5% of sales, compared with $189.6 million or 16.0% of sales a year ago.
- Adjusted operating expenses were $128.6 million (1) or 10.7% (1) of sales in the quarter, down from $137.0 million (1) or 11.5% (1) of sales in the prior-year quarter.
- Operating income for the fourth quarter of 2011 was $45.9 million or 3.8% of sales. Adjusted operating income was $45.2 million (1) or 3.8 % (1) of sales, compared with $52.6 million (1) or 4.4% (1) of sales in the prior-year quarter.
2011 Financial Summary
- Diluted earnings per share for 2011 were $2.42, compared with $2.34 in 2010. Adjusted earnings per share in 2011 grew 15% to $2.51 (1) from $2.19 (1) in 2010. Earnings per share in 2011 were adjusted up by $0.09 per share to remove the impact of an equity compensation charge, an asset impairment charge and an employee-related item. For 2010, earnings per share were adjusted down by $0.15 to exclude employee-related items.
- Net sales rose 3.6% from the prior year to $5.0 billion.
- Gross margin was $740.1 million or 14.8% of sales, versus $730.6 million or 15.1% of sales in 2010.
- Adjusted operating expenses were $536.4 million (1) or 10.7% (1) of sales in 2011, compared with $532.4 million (1) or 11.0% (1) of sales in 2010.
- Operating income for 2011 was $198.3 million or 4.0% of sales. Adjusted operating income increased 3% to $203.6 million (1) or 4.1% (1) of sales, compared with $198.2 million (1) or 4.1% (1) of sales in the prior year.
- Net cash provided by operating activities totaled $130.4 million versus $114.8 million last year.
- 5.1 million shares were repurchased at a cost of $162.7 million.
“We had record results in 2011, with outstanding performance in our growth initiatives helping to offset a more challenging office products environment,” said Cody Phipps, president and chief executive officer. “This performance reinforces the effectiveness of our strategy for long-term growth delivered by our associates. We are taking action to accelerate our growth efforts in the industrial and janitorial & breakroom businesses, optimize our distribution network for the future, and drive targeted cost reductions to support margins.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV