Rating Change #7
Thomson Reuters Corporation (TRI) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and poor profit margins.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- THOMSON-REUTERS CORP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, THOMSON-REUTERS CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$1.70 versus $1.09 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1248.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $224.00 million to -$2,572.00 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Media industry and the overall market, THOMSON-REUTERS CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $942.00 million or 13.01% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The gross profit margin for THOMSON-REUTERS CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 29.00%. Regardless of TRI's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TRI's net profit margin of -71.90% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
Thomson Reuters Corporation provides intelligent information for businesses and professionals in the financial, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science, and media markets worldwide. The company operates in two divisions, Professional and Markets. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.6, below the average computer software & services industry P/E ratio of 20.3 and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Thomson Reuters has a market cap of $23.68 billion and is part of the technology sector and computer software & services industry. Shares are up 4.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.You can view the full Thomson Reuters Ratings Report or get investment ideas from our investment research center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV