NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "We don't know what the future will bring," was Jim Cramer's lesson to the viewers of his "Mad Money" TV show Monday, as he opined on the litany of things the markets are beginning to worry about and what investors should do about it.
Cramer reminded viewers that big news isn't always big news for stocks, especially for individual stocks. Thats why until something actually happens, it's hard to know just how it will impact the markets, if at all, he said.To be sure, Cramer said, there are market implications if the newly-released federal budget, and accompanying deficits, gets passed. There are also serious implications for a unruly default in Greece. Expiring tax cuts will impact some stocks, said Cramer, and the rising tensions between Israel and Iran will impact others. But for the vast majority of stocks, all of these worries won't matter at all, said Cramer. And for investors to worry about them before that happen is just plain madness. "We can't predict how any of these things will impact individual stocks," he said, recalling at favorite line from his old hedge fund days. "What does that have to do with the earnings of Bristol Myers-Squibb (BMY)?" Cramer said for stocks like Apple (AAPL), a stock which he owns for his charitable trust, Action Alerts PLUS, or Pfizer (PFE) or Caterpillar (CAT), all of these issues simply aren't issues and aren't something investors need to be concerned with at a time when stocks are historically cheap. Cramer said with interest rates making stocks far more attractive than bonds and those rates likely to stay put for years, it would be foolish to pass up the great opportunities stocks are offering simply because investors are worried over things that may or may not happen. When the facts change, then investors can change their minds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV