- Ensure Major Pieces of Furniture Are Functional: Sofas are arguably the most important piece of furniture, so they need to be functional and stylish. First rule: be sure not to choose sofas and chairs that are super low and deep. Yes, we may think of these as comfy and cozy, but they can easily swallow you up and be hard to get in and out of. Also, think of sturdy, well-proportioned upholstered arms, so they are something one can really lean on - nothing too flimsy.
- Select a Contrasting Wall Color: Choosing wall colors can be the single most important element in a room. A bad wall color can make or break a room. Here's the key: it's important that the wall color has a distinct contrast in color than that of the floor color. And since vision yellows with age, its best to choose a warm toned color.
- Look for a Multi-purpose Dining Table: I recommend a dining table with shelves for extra storage space and drop-leaf sides that provide flexibility.
- Personalize Wall Art: Frame large photos of you and your family – this is what will make your new home truly your own. For a more modern and conservative look, get all the same color frame and arrange in a grid. A "Gallery in a Box" product is the easiest way to create this look.
- Add Safety Rails: Disguise a handrail by making it into a chair rail. Paint the top half of your wall a darker color than the bottom half and install the handrail in the middle.
- Create Storage Solutions: Storage can be disguised as a chic piece of furniture, such as an ottoman. Add a tray on top and make it a coffee table or use it for extra storage. These pieces can solve so many issues while still looking good.
- Use Convenient, Practical Lighting: Sconces near the bed free up nightstand space and help avoid late night fumbling for the switch. Stick with paper or fabric shades to avoid harsh direct light and keep the sconce below the eye-line when lying down.
- Keep Accessories Simple and Meaningful: Incorporate a soft blanket on a sofa, or fill pretty baskets with favorite mementos.
- Incorporate Round Furniture in Your Room: It keeps the layout open and the room void of sharp corners. Avoid rectangular glass top tables as they can cause injuries.
- Outfit Your Bed with an Upholstered Headboard: Keep it soft for easy reading and sleeping. To keep the cost down, upholster the bed yourself and only purchase a headboard with a simple platform or metal bed frame.
Sunrise Senior Living And HGTV's Emily Henderson Partner To Offer Design Tips For Seniors
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.