By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
The company, whose Steelhead products enable customers to improve the performance of applications and access data across networks, disappointed Wall Street on guidance in late January. The stock gapped down near $24 but has been recovering since then, getting an upgrade from Pacific Crest last week with a $34 price target.
Riverbed's shares swung in a wide range on Friday, and the option paper was flowing. The March 32 calls really stuck out, with large blocks from 23 cents to 52 cents. The February 30s also shot up from 15 cents to 29 cents, according to OptionMonster's real-time tracking system.Those contracts lock in the price that traders must pay to buy shares, so they can deliver major leverage if the stock moves in the right direction. However, the calls are also susceptible to losing all their value if Riverbed doesn't rally. The stock ended Friday's session down 0.22% to $27.67. More than 25,000 options traded in the name, compared with about 13,000 in a typical day. Najarian has no positions in RVBD.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV