And wouldn't you know it? A good chunk of the media didn't mention the reverse, which was severe enough to give longtime Oracle watchers whiplash. A violent change in direction is important to mention, though. It can be a sign of rudderlessness and desperation, think Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), listing this way and that.
But a sharp change in direction could also provide evidence of a flexibility needed to remain viable in a competitive marketplace over time. What's the case with Oracle? Probably the latter, but you can't even proffer a guess at the answer if you are not asking the question.
Marketwatch (NWS) is one of many media outlets that did not bother to point out the wide spread between Oracle's old aggressive disregard for the cloud and its newfound embrace. They even called Oracle's move "aggressive" without putting that aggression into proper context by setting beside their old disregard. When Marketwatch dipped into the past, it was to mention a personnel connection with a software merger from a decade ago. Considering, that was an irrelevancy.The New York Times, by contrast, got to the relevant item right from the first sentence: "Oracle, once wary of Web-based applications, has now embraced the cloud."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV