Updated from 7 a.m. ET to include two additional natural gas plays.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The natural gas stocks are hard to love these days but there are still angles to be played.
Long-term investors point to optimism about the importance of U.S. natural gas supply in a global context in the years ahead, while short-term natural gas pricing weakness is also a way to identify contrarian bets.
The important thing is that an investor doesn't have to know whether natural gas pricing sinks below its January low before going higher again, or if production cuts made by some of the biggest drillers, such as Chesapeake Energy (CHK), have a positive impact on pricing.Here are five ways to build a natural gas portfolio that don't require a bet on a short-term pricing rebound ...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV