10 Used Cars to Check Out Before Buying New
6. Subaru Forester
Trim: L four-door
Original MSRP: $21,625
KBB private party value: $5,505
Retained value: 25.5%
All-wheel drive means as much to Forester's allure as it does to that of its stablemate, the Legacy. What this mini-SUV has going for it, however, is a beloved body type Subaru just doesn't make anymore.
The 2002 Forester was meant to be a small SUV, but always looked and rode like a large station wagon. It had a low center of gravity, high ceilings and 63 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats down -- a step above a grocery-getter, but just a few notches below a true off-road vehicle.
Take one look at Foresters of this vintage on the roads today and rugged terrain isn't really what they're being asked to tackle. Leave that to the mountain bikes on the roof or the soccer gear and tents tucked away in the wayback. This is the archetypal lacrosse-practice car, and a 2.5-liter four cylinder with a 165 horsepower engine that gets a combined 22 miles per gallon is game for shuttling duties.Just hope someone has replaced the standard cassette deck. We know they're making a comeback in the hipper circles, but one of the kids may still try to jam an iPhone into it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV