10 Used Cars to Check Out Before Buying New
8. Subaru Legacy
Trim: L sedan
Original MSRP: $20,620
KBB private party value: $5,140
Retained value: 24.9%
Unlike some of the other cars on this list loaded with features and space that have aged extremely well over the past 10 years, this bare-bones base model Legacy has exactly one thing going for it: all-wheel drive.
If you just shrugged your shoulders at that feature, chances are you live a fairly charmed existence that doesn't involve scraping ice off the windshield each winter and figuring out what to do with the snow once the front yard is piled higher than your head. Bully for you. For everyone else, that actually comes in pretty handy when parallel parking between the snowbanks and pulling the car up a long, flake-coated driveway.
The Legacy's air conditioning, anti-lock brakes, cruise control, power windows and locks and tilt steering wheeI aren't a whole lot to write home about, but its combined 22 miles per gallon is better than that of all-wheel-drive or four-wheel-drive SUVs. Its side airbags, meanwhile, are a nice throw-in for the price.The all-wheel drive gives the Subaru brand a distinct advantage when it comes to resale and reliability, which is why this isn't the last Subaru you'll see mentioned here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV