10 Used Cars to Check Out Before Buying New
1. Toyota RAV4
Trim: Sport utility
Original MSRP: $18,435
KBB private party value: $8,110
Retained value: 44%
If you tend to get the CR-V and the RAV4 confused, don't worry. You're supposed to.
The king of the used pocket utility vehicles, however, seemed a little more like a wagon at this stage of the game. The 2002 RAV4 handles like a car, gets 148 horsepower out of its 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and has adjustable cup holders and several storage bins for family vacations and schlepping to and from school or soccer practice.
If there's one lesson to be taken from this list, it's that those little details and the knowledge that you can rely on them for years at a time don't get less important with age. Were features such as ABS brakes, aluminum wheels, air conditioning, remote keyless entry and a power sunroof optional in the 2002? Yes, but it gets a combined 25 miles per gallon, has dual front airbags and an extremely tight suspension for a small SUV of its type.Having children is an expensive proposition and forces certain elements of American households into a period of stasis while they're in school. If the dishwasher with the wonky rack and the living room furniture straight out of The O.C. are in it for the long haul -- or at least until the kids get out of college -- the car's likely in a similar state. When you need a lot of years and space for your money, a car such as the RAV4 can take the beating until you're back in the market. -- Written by Jason Notte in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV