The State Taxman Cometh
BERKELEY HEIGHTS, N.J. ( TheStreet) -- As the year-end holiday and the New Year celebrations fade, tax season is upon us. Given the economic slowdown and the states' enormous looming financial obligations (including pensions and retiree health benefits), states are getting more aggressive in looking to raise tax revenues.
New Jersey, for example, has a form called the New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Form. The New Jersey Sales and Use Tax Act requires that residents pay a use tax when they buy taxable goods and services and the retailer in the state of purchase didn't collect sales tax or collected at less than the New Jersey rate of 7%.
|New Jersey, as it gets desperate for revenue, is also getting tough on its Sales and Use Tax Act, which means it's looking for its share when you buy something out of state or over the Internet. Other states are following.|
So what is different this year? New Jersey residents are required to answer the following questions right on their 2011 tax return:
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV