Updated from 3:53 p.m. to include information about Friday's close, individual stocks leading the S&P 500 higher in 2012.
But whatever the headlines from the old continent, at least one chart watcher says the technicals are pointing to a good old-fashioned sell-off for equities.
"We believe the current stock market rally has ended and that stocks are vulnerable to a 3% to 5% pullback over the next four weeks or so," writes Mark Arbeter, chief technical strategist at S&P Capital IQ, in commentary released Friday. "Some of the major indices have moved very close to some of our key technical targets, and at the same time, we're seeing some frothy sentiment indicators as well as some very overbought price and market internals."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV