Updated from 3:53 p.m. to include information about Friday's close, individual stocks leading the S&P 500 higher in 2012.
But whatever the headlines from the old continent, at least one chart watcher says the technicals are pointing to a good old-fashioned sell-off for equities.
"We believe the current stock market rally has ended and that stocks are vulnerable to a 3% to 5% pullback over the next four weeks or so," writes Mark Arbeter, chief technical strategist at S&P Capital IQ, in commentary released Friday. "Some of the major indices have moved very close to some of our key technical targets, and at the same time, we're seeing some frothy sentiment indicators as well as some very overbought price and market internals."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV