A Bloomberg article states that the U.S. Air Force may purchase up to 18,000 iPad 2s, as the military agency tries to lighten the load for pilots, by replacing manuals and navigation charts.
Captain Kathleen Ferrero, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Air Force told Bloomberg that the airline industry has already added iPads to flights, as the tablet can replace close to 40 pounds from each flight, lowering fuel costs.
This comes on the back of Halliburton (HAL) switching from Research In Motion's (RIMM) BlackBerry to the iPhone. The Houston-based oil services firm determined that Apple's iOS platform "offered the best capabilities, controls and security for application development," according to an internal newsletter.On Apple's first-quarter conference call, CFO Peter Oppenheimer said almost all the top Fortune 500 companies "now approve and support iPhones on their networks." Oppenheimer mentioned companies including Nike (NKE) and Kimberly-Clark (KMB). Apple shares have dipped into negative territory, off 0.1% to $492.84 on Friday. Shares touched a high of $497.62 earlier in the session. Do you think that Apple's share price will reach $500 in February? Take our poll and let us know. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/commodity_bull. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV