Let’s look at the quarterly flow trends those are on slide four. Net outflows improved across all three channels from the third quarter to the fourth. In fact, we had our lowest quarterly outflows since the second quarter 2010, and that includes outflows we sustained as a result of asset sales by the AXA Group. During 2011, AXA sold its Canadian and Australian businesses. We managed about $16 billion for them and expect to lose most of these assets over time. In the fourth quarter, we had outflows associated with these dispositions of nearly $4 billion, representing approximately $5 million in revenues, and we expect to see another $6 billion in outflows in the first half of 2012. This morning, we released our January AUMs, and I’m sure you all saw that it was $421 billion, up 4% from year-end, reflecting a combination of stronger investment returns in performance and lower net outflows across all three channels.
Now, I’ll spend sometime on the channel specifics, starting with institutions on slide five. This business had $17 billion in gross sales in 2011, fuelled largely by ongoing strength in fixed income and customized retirement strategies. Together these two areas represented 80% of our gross sales last year. Our momentum in non-US Fixed Income shows up in our gross sales makeup. Nearly a third were in Asia and Japan. Fixed Income and CRS are the largest share of our pipeline as well.
In the fourth quarter, with several large and expected CRS fundings, our pipeline decreased by $2.7 billion. However, we also had about $1 billion in new Fixed Income mandates to come in and fund during the quarter, those included high yield, investment grade, and global bond opportunities, so these never showed up in the pipeline. Yet, investment performance we all know is what truly drives the business. And slide six shows where our performance was the strongest in last year’s extremely volatile markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV