NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Welcome to Don Dion's "ETF Winners and Losers." Be sure to stop by throughout the week to find out which ETFs are gaining or losing.
iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures ETN (VXX) 8.0%
After three days of gains, the fear-tracking VIX index took off at the end of the week as concerns began to resurface regarding in the ongoing Greece debt saga. VXX has relished in the market's weakness, recovering all of its February losses.
The European debt crisis has been cast to the sidelines for weeks. Clearly, though, it still has the ability to drive market action.iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT) (TLT) 1.5% After Thursday's losses caused it to break below near term support, the long-term, Treasury-tracking TLT has found some footing. The resurfacing of macroeconomic fears is concerning for those holding market-correlated asset classes. As I've noted in the past, even during periods of market strength, investors should maintain exposure to safe havens as a way to protect against upheavals. iPath Dow Jones UBS Natural Gas Subindex Total Return ETN (GAZ) 1.3% The premium-laden, natural gas futures-tracking GAZ is one of the few products managing to push higher in this choppy market environment. Over the past week, the ETN has powered back to its 50-day moving average. Fellow nat gas futures-tracker, the United States Natural Gas Fund (UNG) is relatively unchanged this afternoon.
LosersGuggenheim Solar ETF (TAN) -7.4% After more than a week of uninterrupted gains, macroeconomic headwinds have cast clouds over the solar energy industry, pushing TAN and the Market Vectors Solar Energy ETF (KWT) to losses. Other corners of the alternative energy sector are fumbling as well. The Global X Uranium ETF (URA) is off over 3.5%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV