BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- If money talks, dividends just won't shut up right now. For investors, that's a very good thing.
For many, it may seem like a renewed emphasis has come back onto dividends in the last few years. In large part, that's because it has. Post-crisis, both the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average are paying out higher average sustained dividend yields to investors than they have since the mid-1990s. That's a massive shift toward the importance of income; where dividend payers were once the "boring," low-growth names, investors are starting to expect income from more buoyant stocks in 2012.
And there's more where that came from. Corporations are still sitting on record profits and balance sheet cash positions, two critical factors in a company's ability to pay out higher dividends to investors. Many investors are still ignoring dividends, opting instead to focus on names that they think have better capital gains potential. If that's your strategy, you may want to take a second look at it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV