Updated from 4:59 p.m. ET to include latest share prices, additional information on Expedia, Activision Blizzard, Exide Technologies, and Leapfrog Enterprises.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Shares of Nuance Communications (NUAN) fell in late trades on Thursday after the maker of voice and language technology products missed Wall Street expectations for its fiscal first-quarter results on both the top and bottom lines.
The Burlington, Mass.-based company reported non-GAAP earnings of $$108.5 million, or 34 cents a share, for the three months ended Dec. 31 on revenue of $360.6 million, below the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for a profit of 36 cents a share in the quarter on revenue of $391.6 million.
Nuance hinted at the cause of the shortfall, saying that its relationships with mobile companies have become "more comprehensive and complex" lately, resulting in delayed revenue at times because of longer negotiation cycles and deferrals of recognition until certain deliverables are completed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV