Third Point, a $4.6 billion hedge fund run by Dan Loeb, has a 5.2% stake of Internet firm Yahoo (YHOO), and Loeb has been in a dog fight with its board of directors, as he says it has mismanaged Yahoo and bungled chances to sell the company at a premium.
Yahoo has a five-year annualized loss of 12% and is down 2% this year.
Yahoo made up almost 30% of Third Point's portfolio late last year, so Loeb has good reason to want its management to do something to boost share returns.Loeb wrote in a letter to Yahoo directors that his firm is "not surprised by this mismanagement given the history of strategic bungling by Yahoo Board Chairman Roy Bostock and founder Jerry Yang, which has been chronicled in our previous letters and in numerous critical media and analyst reports." Yahoo, according to reports, is in talks about selling a stake in China's Alibaba, the New York Times reported Thursday. That would give Yahoo more cash but lacking an inroad into China. Third Point returned 3.8% in January and has a one-year return of 17.5%. The fund's second-largest holding at the start of the fourth quarter was Williams Co. (WMB), a natural gas transmission company, at 6%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV