Now it is time to discuss the Chevrolet Vega.
Herb Goldman, a financial adviser from Hollywood, Fla., remembers his 1974 Vega fondly.
"It had a four-speed transmission and a big, sporty stripe running the full length from hood to trunk," he writes. "I managed to drive it cross-country from New York to San Francisco -- I hit 95 on the Bonneville Salt Flats -- and I won't blame the car for me burning out the clutch on [the] hills.""It was a lot of fun to drive," he writes, "until the three-year warranty ran out and it started falling apart around me." Bill Hennelly, an editor at TheStreet, thinks the Vega was "true to its make ... The Vega actually had a nice design," he says. "You could tell it was a Chevy." Allan Kautz, a physicist and engineer in Naperville, Ill., once owned a 1971 Vega, and writes that "when I tried to repair rust spots by removing the rusted areas, new rusted areas appeared. My conclusion was that the steel from which the car was made was rusted to begin with." Additionally, the engine's soft aluminum cylinders were not lined with metal and had problems -- another reader also mentioned this -- but Kautz's were fixed under warranty. On the positive side, Kautz said, the Vega was well-designed from a do-it-yourself point of view. "It was very simple to work on, and I learned basic maintenance from this car," Kautz writes. "It was pretty much a rust bucket when I traded it in on a BMW in 2002," he says. "The dealer gave me credit for a stereo radio." That's as funny as our joke about the Yugo -- worth as much as a set of wiper blades. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. P/>>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV