Edsel is always controversial because, despite having earned a reputation as one of the worst mistakes ever, it had a lot of positives.
Michael LaMoy, a retired real estate appraiser who lives in Menifee, Calif., has a soft spot for the car, perhaps because in 1962 he and his wife drove one from Vermont to California.
"I've noticed over the years that the Edsel has been included in an increasing number of 'bad' lists," LaMoy writes. "It didn't used to be, back when the cars were in production, or for a few decades later, but there seems to be a 'repeat this story' thing now that very few people actually had experiences with an Edsel.""Bad design? There could be a case for that, due to the unusual body design. Bad marketing? Absolutely! But the car came in four models, spread over two series; the smaller two, Ranger and Pacer, were built on a Ford chassis and the larger two, Corsair and Citation, were built on a Mercury chassis, which was a few inches longer." "So, whatever the quality concerns, they were no worse and no better than those of Ford and Mercury, which were not afflicted with any more problems than any GM or Chrysler products of that era," he says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV