The acquisition is Oracle's biggest play in the cloud computing space, which lets businesses store their data on remote servers on the Web. It also comes on the heels of SAP's (SAP) $3.4 billion acquisition of SuccesFactors (SSF) in December.
Here's how other cloud-based stocks are faring.
Cloud leader Salesforce (CRM) saw shares rise to 2% in late trading Thursday to $126.23.Shares of virtualization software company VMWare (VMW) increased 0.9% to $95.05. Rackspace (RAX) shares jumped 1.2% to $49.62. Shares of cloud-based software company NetSuite (N), meanwhile, are down 0.2% to $46.39 --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV