LONDON, February 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Smith & Nephew (NYSE:SNN; LSE:SN), the global medical technology business, today announced the results of a new study for its BIRMINGHAM HIP™ Resurfacing (BHR) System. The study, carried out at the request of the FDA, followed the progress of the first 400 BHR patients in the United Kingdom and found that after 10 years, 99% were either satisfied or extremely satisfied with their BHR procedure.
"These results further exemplify why the BHR Hip is unlike any other metal-on-metal implant," says John Soto, Senior Vice President for Smith & Nephew's Global Hip Franchise. "Not only does the BHR Hip offer all the advantages of hip resurfacing, including bone-conservation, greater range of motion and decreased risk of dislocation, but it does so while maintaining implant survivorship rates that are on par with, or in some patient populations even better than, traditional total hip replacement which has long been considered the most successful orthopaedic surgical procedure for relieving chronic pain."
In addition to patient satisfaction, the 10-year BHR data showed:
- The Oswestry Modified Harris Hip Score (OMHHS) averaged 92.5 points – demonstrating excellent long-term clinical implant function.[i]
- The implant survival rate according to the Kaplan-Meier analysis was 95.9% - well exceeding the 10-year survivorship threshold of 90% for implants as established by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Science (NICE)[ii]
- A radiographic success rate of 99.7% was observed by independent radiographic review.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV