SG&A expenses totaled $69 million for the fourth quarter, compared to $94.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2010. The decrease in fourth quarter SG&A was primarily due to a $10.2 million reduction in expenses related to restructuring, compensation and benefits, a $7.8 million reduction in non-working marketing and sales expenses, a $3 million reduction in bad debt expense, and $3.1 million of higher gains on facility and asset sales.
On a full year basis SG&A totaled $302.9 million, as compared to $320.2 million in 2010. The decrease in SG&A on a full year basis was primarily due to a $14.6 million reduction in expenses related to restructuring, compensation and benefits, a $3.1 million reduction in non-working marketing and sales expenses, a $1.8 million reduction in bad debt expense, a $1.1 million reduction in vacant facility costs and $1.5 million of higher gains on facility and asset sales, partially offset by $4.4 million in favorable settlement of certain international tax and trade compliance matters that took place in 2010.
Last quarter we spoke to you about $30 million in new annualized cost savings, about 70% of which will be realized in the SG&A line. We realized only a partial benefit from the $30 million in savings in the fourth quarter of 2011, but beginning with the first quarter of 2012, we expect the quarterly base SG&A run rate of $73 million to $77 million to fully reflect the impact of these cost savings. This base SG&A run rate may increase or decrease depending on changes such as brand support activities and incentive compensation accruals.
On a retail side of our business the 44 Thomasville stores we’ve operated for more than 15 months showed a same-store sales decrease of 4% this quarter, following a 15% same-store sales increase in the fourth quarter of 2010.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV