Meantime, Frisch's Restaurants (FRS) are known better as the home for Big Boys. The company also runs the Golden Corral chain, but has recently closed six of them and hired a banker to investigate its strategic options for the business as Big Boys sales have been going up, while Golden Corral has come down.
Although Big Boy profits have declined, two new Big Boy restaurants opened recently. The iconic Big Boy was also featured in a Chevy ad during the Super Bowl. Frisch's is not heavily covered by analysts, but the two that cover the company both have buy ratings.
TheStreet Ratings also recently upgraded the stock to buy from hold because of its attractive valuation levels, largely solid financial position and reasonable debt levels. The stock is flat for the past year, and trades at a forward price-to-earnings multiple of 10.7X.
There's also BJ's Restaurants (BJRI) to consider. The company is a little bigger than fast casual and called casual plus. Revenues were up 18% in the last third quarter, net income was up 34% and same-restaurant sales were up 7.1%.BJ's opened 9 new restaurants in the past year. Its price points are similar to Buffalo Wild Wings and Chili's, between $12.00 to $13.00 for entrees. The menu is more than burgers, but burgers account for 12% of sales. The company is also known for its brew house concept, which adds to sales by taking advantage of the craft beer craze. It is a contemporary and fresh concept without a chain image. BJ's believes they can nearly double locations in the 13 states, and currently have plans to open 15 new restaurants. The stock is up 43% for the past year, but still trades well below its 52-week high of $56.64 set back in July. BJ's is due to report its fiscal fourth-quarter results on Feb. 16. -- Written by Debra Borchardt in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Debra Borchardt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV