Another under-$10 stock that's trading within range of a major breakout is Comverge (COMV) is a clean energy company providing demand management solutions in the form of peaking and base load capacity to electric utilities, grid operators and associated electricity markets. This stock is off to a decent start in 2012, with shares up over 15%.
If you take a look at the chart for Comverge, you'll notice that this stock was hammered by the sellers from its October high of $2.49 to a recent low of $1.03 a share. After tapping that low, the stock rebounded sharply and has now started to uptrend toward its current price of $1.47 a share. During that uptrend, shares of COMV have started to make higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish price action.
Traders should now watch COMV for a breakout trade to trigger once it can manage to sustain a high-volume move and close above some near-term overhead resistance at $1.59 with high-volume. Look for volume on a move above that level that registers near or well above its three-month average action of 194,311 shares. You can see on the chart that volume for the past two months has been tracking in extremely strong on the up days, which is bullish technical action.If you're bullish on COMV, I would look to buy into the recent weakness if the stock can hold above the uptrend line I drew in on the chart. That uptrend line sits right around the 20-day and 50-day moving averages. If the stock can hold above those levels at $1.32 (50-day) and $1.38 (20-day), then it should rebound and go for that breakout soon. If we get that action, then target a run towards $1.83 to $1.98 or possibly much higher. I also featured Comverge in "5 Stocks With Big Insider Buying."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV