The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Dave Sterman
NEW YORK ( StreetAuthority) -- The appeal of investing in turnaround stocks is very compelling.
Some companies look to revamp products to re-invigorate sales growth. Others find ways to slash expenses and unlock major profit-margin gains. Still, others look to clean up a debt-laden balance sheet, which is often a key reason for investors to disregard a stock. No matter the plan, long-depressed shares can get a new life as these moves pay off.A portfolio filled with turnaround candidates is a bad strategy. Even the best turnaround plans often go askew. Still, stocking your portfolio with one or two potential rebound candidates can help you beat the market averages. Here are three potential turnaround stocks I'm watching closely. Some of these ideas may fail to gain traction, but holding a basket of these should pay off. 1. Wendy's (WEN) Roughly a month ago,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV