The downgrade to "hold" from "buy" by Portales analyst Charlie Peabody was actually published on Monday, but has not been widely reported, and was only made available by Bloomberg, which keeps comprehensive data on analyst upgrades and downgrades, on Thursday.
A call to Peabody was not returned. According to Bloomberg, his downgrade came as the shares hit $7.97, which is where they closed on Monday. The shares traded lower on Tuesday but have since rebounded and were at $8.17 shortly after noon on Thursday, marking a gain of nearly 47% for the year.
Peabody had had a "buy" on Bank of America ever since Sept. 8, 2008, when the shares traded at $34.73. That was one week ahead of the historic Lehman Brothers bankruptcy, from which bank stocks--and the much of the global economy, for that matter, have still not fully recovered.Following Peabody's downgrade, analysts have 12 "buys," 24 "holds" and two "sell" ratings on Bank of America, according to Bloomberg data. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV