NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Warren Buffett, chairman of Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) and unofficial CEO of America, is giving investors one more chance to stop being led into speculative bubbles and reckless investments and build a portfolio the smart way: meaning to invest like him.
In an excerpt from his upcoming annual letter to Berkshire shareholders published on Fortune's Web site Thursday, Buffett put it plainly to investors: Ditch gold, beware of bonds and hold equities for the long term. Anything else, and an investor is confusing fear-based speculation and the herd mentality for investing, Buffett says.
Writing on bonds and commodities as two of the three investing pillars, Buffett remarks: "Our first two categories enjoy maximum popularity at peaks of fear: Terror over economic collapse drives individuals to currency-based assets, most particularly U.S. obligations, and fear of currency collapse fosters movement to sterile assets such as gold. We heard 'cash is king' in late 2008, just when cash should have been deployed rather than held. Similarly, we heard 'cash is trash' in the early 1980s just when fixed-dollar investments were at their most attractive level in memory. On those occasions, investors who required a supportive crowd paid dearly for that comfort."It's a philosophy that Buffett has long espoused: Equities are the only way to go. At last year's Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting, Buffett joked about the uselessness of a bar of gold. To break down the don of American capitalism's antipathy for fixed-income and commodities and his ceaseless love of stocks and businesses, here are eight principles Buffett laid out in his latest ode to equities:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV