With activist mainstays flexing their muscles, and smaller shareholders beginning to find their sea legs, one can't help but conclude that a new era of activist empowerment is upon us. The convergence of social media and proxy access are providing the little guy with an amplified voice and strength in numbers. Significant wins like those at Yahoo and RIM are emboldening bigger players to target bigger game.
The democratization of Wall Street is under way. As a result, management structures that fail to align their priorities with those of their investors will face tougher challenges than ever before in 2012 and beyond.
Richard S. Levick, Esq., is the president and chief executive officer of Levick Strategic Communications, a crisis communications firm. He is the co-author of Stop the Presses: The Crisis & Litigation PR Desk Reference. He was named to the 2009 NACD/Directorship list of "The Most Influential People in the Boardroom." Reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.Kathleen Wailes is a Senior Vice President at Levick Strategic Communications with specialization in financial communications. Reach her at email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV