Where Do the Candidates Stand on China?
Romney argues that America should maintain a strong military presence in the Pacific while strengthening relations with strategic allies like India and courting new friends like Indonesia. He also urges the U.S. to affirmatively defend human rights in China and promises that a Romney administration would deal directly with civil society groups in China, a promise that Beijing might find more than a little offensive.
Donald Trump reportedly endorsed Mitt Romney in part because he believes Romney would be most effective in debating President Obama. The real estate mogul also likes Romney's aggressive position on competing economically with China. At this point in the primary process, however, it appears that Romney's ability to capture the Republican nomination is far from a done deal.
China is an economic powerhouse, a strong military presence and a diplomatic challenge. President Obama already has a track record on China that will, presumably, come under considerable scrutiny during the general election, and will undoubtedly be able to explain his decisions so that voters will understand them, even if they don't support them. Without a similar track record, the Republican nominee will need to be able to describe his proposed policies on China and explain to voters why his approach would benefit America if he is to effectively counter President Obama's arguments.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV